General view of the nave and choir, 1220-1269
The nave effortlessly reaching a height of 42,3 m, epitomizes the triumph of 13th century gothic architecture, or how audacity meets perfection. Begun in 1220 by Robert de Luzarches, the nave was completed in 1236; the choir by 1269. While following the three-story elevation seen at Chartres and Reims, the emphasis on height changes the whole appearance of the interior. Only 14,6 m wide, the nave presents a relation of 3:1 between height and width, creating a vertical thrust which was unseen at the time.